Owen Sound Attack shut out Frontenacs 3-0

Kingston Frontenacs Jacob Murray tries to check Owen Sound Attack Jackson Doherty during Ontario Hockey League action at the Leon's Centre in Kingston on Friday, December 14, 2018. Ian MacAlpine/The Whig-Standard/Postmedia Network Handout Not For Resale Ian MacAlpine / Ian MacAlpine/Kingston Whig-Standard/Postmedia Network

Share Adjust Comment Print

The Kingston Frontenacs’ short-lived two-game winning streak came to an end on Friday night at the Leon’s Centre.

The Owen Sound Attack scored in the second period and added two more in the third for a 3-0 victory in front of 3,007 fans.  Attack goalie Andrew MacLean earned his first career shutout.

Owen Sound extended its win streak to six games and remained unbeaten in the month of December.

With the loss, the Frontenacs fell to 10-21-1-0, last in the Eastern Conference.

Kingston went into the contest having won a pair of games last weekend on a western Ontario road trip, 7-5 over the Sarnia Sting and 4-1 over the Kitchener Rangers.

Friday night’s game was scoreless until the 6:32 mark of the second period when Michael Russell slipped into the slot and received a backhand pass from Manuel Alberg and put the puck into the Kingston net. Trenton Bourque assisted on the play.

Kingston’s Brendan Bonello made several big saves early in the second period, shutting down the Attack and keeping the game scoreless.

Kingston had a chance to take a 1-0 lead four minutes before the Attack scored when rookie Zayde Wisdom redirected a cross-crease pass from Paul Larabie, but MacLean made the save.

Kingston almost tied the game late in the period off a faceoff in the Attack zone, but Cameron Hough’s one-timer hit the right post behind MacLean, denying the second-year forward his first goal of the season.

Kingston Frontenacs’ Anthony Aguanno tries to slow down Owen Sound Attack’s Kevin Hancock during Ontario Hockey League action at the Leon’s Centre in Kingston on Friday. (Ian MacAlpine/The Whig-Standard) Ian MacAlpine / Ian MacAlpine/Kingston Whig-Standard/Postmedia Network

Owen Sound outshot Kingston 16-12 in the second period.

The visitors iced the game when Griffin Wilson, with time and space in the slot, put a wristshot over Bonello’s left shoulder.

Alberg got his second assist on the goal, with Mitchell Russell also assisting for his second point of the night.

Kingston couldn’t get any sustained pressure on Owen Sound’s MacLean in the third period, mustering but three shots on net.

The Attack got 11 shots on Bonello and outshot Kingston 35-27 in the game.

Zachary Roberts added the empty-net goal with 1:05 left in the game.

The first period was scoreless despite Kingston spending the final 3:34 of the period on the power play after a four-minute high-sticking penalty to Owen Sound’s Jackson Doherty. Despite lots of time in the Attack zone, Kingston couldn’t score.

The shots were 12-8 Kingston following the first period.

Kingston plays the Flint Firebirds on Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Leon’s Centre.

Flint occupies last place Western Conference with just three wins and eight points in 33 games.


Kingston Frontenacs’ Tyler Burnie gets a shot on Owen Sound Attack goalie Andrew MacLean as Igor Chibrikov comes in to help during Ontario Hockey League action at the Leon’s Centre in Kingston on Friday. MacLean notched his first career Ontario Hockey League shutout as the Attack topped the Fronts 3-0. (Ian MacAlpine/The Whig-Standard)


  • Kingston’s Gabe Vilardi is currently at the Team Canada Evaluation Camp despite not playing any of the three exhibition games against the U Sports All-Stars. Vilardi started the season on injury reserve with the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings with a back injury. Earlier this month, he played three games on a conditioning assignment with the American Hockey League’s Ontario Reign. After making some cuts on Friday evening, Vilardi was still with the team.
  • Godfrey native Matt Villalta of the Soo Greyhounds was one of the three goaltenders in camp. Villalta was released after allowing three goals in the second half of the game on Friday in a 5-1 loss to the U Sports All-Stars.
  • Frontenacs European import Ian Derungs was out of Friday night’s lineup because he was attending Team Switzerland’s camp in preparation for the world junior tournament. This season with the Frontenacs, the 19-year-old left-winger has five goals and seven assists in 31 games.
  • Out of Owen Sound’s lineup was Nick Suzuki, a first-round draft pick of the Vegas Golden Knights in 2017 who was traded last fall to the Montreal Canadiens. He’s attending Team Canada’s world junior selection camp. With the Attack this season, he has scored 20 goals and 43 points in 28 games. He was still with Team Canada as of late Friday evening.
  • Friday night saw former Frontenacs head coach Todd Gill’s second game back in Kingston since being fired following the 2014 playoffs. After three seasons with the Calgary Flames’ American Hockey League top affiliated teams, the Adrinondack Flames then the Stockton Heat, Gill returned to the OHL last season with Owen Sound, leading it to a 38-22-3-5 record and sweeping the London Knights in the first round of the playoffs before losing in seven games to the Soo Greyhounds. Last season, Gill’s team beat the Frontenacs 4-3 in Kingston on Feb. 9, avenging a 2-1 shootout win for Kingston in Owen Sound on Dec. 16.